Winning Restaurants Will Serve their Blended Burgers at the James Beard House
“In the past few years, the blended burger has been adopted by the nation’s top culinary influencers, James Beard Foundation, Culinary Institute of America, universities, leading food management companies such as Sodexo, and now – especially with the Blended Burger Project – some our nation’s most creative and adventurous chefs,” said Kristopher Moon, Vice President, James Beard Foundation. “We are delighted to see the widespread enthusiasm and acceptance this summer for this plant-forward take on the burger. We congratulate all those who took part.”
Excitement for a new take on the iconic burger has generated more than 1 million votes this summer. The James Beard Foundation today unveiled the five restaurants voted by consumers as winners of the second annual Blended Burger Project™, an initiative challenging chefs to blend finely chopped mushrooms with meat to create a more delicious, nutritious and sustainable burger.
Held from Memorial Day (May 30) through July 31, the Blended Burger Project featured 349 restaurants from 38 states developing and serving their version of a blended burger (made by blending at least 25 percent chopped mushrooms with meat).
In small town diners and metropolitan eateries, burger fans nationwide sampled and voted for their favorite blended burgers by visiting jamesbeard.org/blendedburgerproject. The five restaurants with the most votes won the opportunity to cook at the historic James Beard House in New York City as part of the official welcome reception on October 16 for the Foundation’s annual Food Conference (October 17-18).
Second Annual Blended Burger Project Winners:
1. Bareburger, New York City (LaGaurdia Place) – topping its wild boar and sweet tamari mushroom Blended Burger with picked red onion, crispy mustard greens and a Sriracha vinaigrette.
2. The Wood’s Kitchen, Bloomingdale, Ga. – serving up a Worcestershire-glazed double mushroom burger with charred Vidalia onion on a mushroom-salted brioche bun.
3. Logan’s Underground Supper Club, Memphis, Tenn. – presenting “The Mushroom Monster”: equal parts portobella mushrooms and ground beef, then seasoned with its own Legends seasoning blend. The burger is topped with fontina cheese, lettuce, tomato and bacon.
4. Cedar’s Café, Melbourne, Fla. – featuring ground beef blended with portobella, shiitake and cremini mushrooms, topped with pomegranate ketchup, banana pepper curry mustard, tahini remoulade, balsamic onion, goat cheese, bacon, spinach and avocado.
5. The Orchard Lounge, McAllen, Texas – creating a shiitake, chorizo and beef blend patty, topped with homemade strawberry fig jam, chipotle Aioli, pickled cucumber, butter lettuce, a fried egg, bacon, tomato and string mushrooms.
For more information on the Blended Burger Project, visit jamesbeard.org/blendedburgerproject.