Get out the grill: it’s time to make blended burgers
Whether your grilling for yourself, your family or a crowd, there’s a blended burger for everyone. Umami-packed and juicy, blended burgers are delicious, nutritious and sustainable. Follow our six simple steps for creating the best blended burgers.
How to Make Blended Burgers
1. CHOP: Chop up 1/4 lb. of your favorite mushroom variety to match the consistency of the ground meat.
Tip: Some meats, like ground turkey and chicken, benefit from the moisture in mushrooms, so there is no need to sauté them first.
2. SAUTE: Sauté or roast mushrooms to enhance their umami flavor, then transfer to paper towel to soak up excess moisture.
3. BLEND: Blend the chopped mushrooms with 1 lb. of ground meat.
Tip: Refrigerate patties for 1 hr. to help the burgers hold their shape.
4. FORM: Form meat and mushroom blend into 1-inch thick patties.
Tip: Never press down on the patties while cooking – this will squeeze out the juices and dry out the burgers.
5. GRILL: Sear patties on high heat to create a crust, then move patties away from direct heat to finish cooking. Cook blended patties 4-5 minutes on each side until they reach desired doneness.
6. TOP IT: Top your blended burgers with all your favorite toppings!
To know if your burger is ready to eat, check its internal temperature following the safe minimum cooking temperatures outlined by the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services.
Love blended burgers? Take the Blenditarian Pledge for an exclusive digital recipe book filled with top chef blended burger recipes!